former volunteers about Suriname
- The supermarket in Suriname is also called the Chinese (because most supermarkets are run by Chinese).
- Many plants and flowers that grow in Suriname ended up there because of the Africans, Indians, and Javanese brought seeds from their own country. There is still A lot being done with the medicinal effects of plants. At the market in Paramaribo you can buy all kinds of plants that could have a healing effect.
- Many Surinamese men have songbirds and songbird conmpetitions are held.
- In the inland people believe in ghosts (winti culture). At the entrance of A village in the inland there is often A kind of gate with palm leaves that you have to walk through so that you are protected. Different rules apply for women than for men. For example, if you have your period you should not walk through the gate.
- Although the official language in Suriname is Dutch, it is nice to learn some words of Sranantongo. Even more languages are spoken such as Saracen by the Salamanders (one of the Maroon peoples).
- Take enough time to discover the interior of Suriname. Suriname has beautiful nature.
- Take part in A cooking course and enjoy all the delicious food. In the Blauwgrond district in Paramaribo you have many Javanese restaurants.